In order to allow me to focus on Consulting (click here) and Courses (click here), I continue to review all posts here in the Forums, but, in general, I'm only personally responding to posts that I mark as #AcumaticaTnT (click here). For Questions (click here), others may respond, or you can post over at Community.Acumatica.com (click here).
Questions External File storage in Acumatica SaaS environment
I am curious what alternatives others are taking now that External File Storage for AWS is no longer an option for Acumatica SaaS environments. Can others on this forum recommend what they are using moving forward? I tried Box.com but this still requires the "External Storage" page in Acumatica and this page no longer exists on 2020R1 or greater.
The following was informed by Acumatica from the Pricing FAQs site:
Can I purchase media storage for Acumatica SaaS?
No. All Acumatica storage for SaaS deployments is allocated to the database. By implementing SaaS storage in the database we can:
- Avoid potential data corruption issues associated with external storage solutions.
- Prevent snapshots and sandbox environments from causing data inconsistencies. This can happen because snapshots and sandbox environments will likely point to the production storage area.
- Provide SLAs and meet data recovery timeframes. With external storage we cannot provide these guarantees.
- Protect information which may include sensitive data such as invoices and customer related files. External storage may allow direct connections which do not go through Acumatica security.
- Meet GDPR requirements of data privacy.
Private cloud deployments can implement external media storage for file attachments if the risks above are acceptable.
Woah, I didn't realize this. I just tried it in an Acumatica 2020 R1 (20.101.0032) SaaS environment and I see what you mean:
Greg/Tim: I came across this today and have created a Case with our VAR to get more clarification.
I find it interesting, because we are using External File Storage synced with our own AWS S3 account and have never had an issue since day one (setup the sync in late 2015). We just updated from 20R1 to 21R1 with no issues regarding this feature.
If you already activated and using it prior to upgrading it does not go away. If you’ve never entered settings etc then after upgrade you will get error upon use that only admin can enable. Admin meaning Acumatica not the role.