In order to allow me to focus on Consulting (click here) and Courses (click here), I continue to review all posts here in the Forums, but, in general, I'm only personally responding to posts that I mark as #AcumaticaTnT (click here). For Questions (click here), others may respond, or you can post over at Community.Acumatica.com (click here).
Questions New Idea Acumatica - Report Designer - Grouping Override Sort Order. - Please review and then Vote for this idea.
In summary, if you group in reports and/or generic inquiries. The grouping sort overrides the primary sort order.
The idea is to expand the group area to allow for the specification of grouping fields and the addition of nongrouping fields that can be used to determine the sort.
Give it a read and then vote to improve the product.
Here is the link: Vote Here.
This idea was provided 5 Years ago and has yet to be acted on.
Here is the original Idea
Currently, you can only sort group sections in Report Designer by the fields that are actually used in the group section. And you get two options: Ascending and Descending (click here for screenshot).
It would be nice to have a field called SortExpression in the above screenshot with a ... button where you could define a formula expression.
Then, for example, on the Customer Summary report, you could set SortExpression to "=Sum([ARBalances.CurrentBal])" and SortOrder to "Descending" to get the report to sort in descending order on the Current Balance column.
It would also be nice to have the ... button available in the Enter sorting conditions here section on the Sorting And Grouping tab of the File -> Build schema... window in Report Designer. Then you could sort the detail section of the report by a formula expression in addition to being able to sort the group sections.
I have added to it.
This idea has been around for 5 Years and still there has been little movement to improve this part of the product.
Like 5 years ago in the original post, we are finding our customers want to add additional groupings based on their business. Customers are quite frustrated with our inability to make what would seems to be a simple change into countless hours finding work arounds and adjusting customers expectations.
In a generic inquiry or in report designer. Currently if there are groupings the sort parameters are not used. Instead the sort parameters come out of the Grouping area.
Here is the idea laid out again.
Add additional capabilities to the Grouping area.
- Set default as grouping area, with a drop down that allows for Grouping or Sorting. Default is Group.
- For Sort Param in Group area. Allow for Priority 1, 2 , 3 ,4,etc Variables listed are used for sorting. They are not part of the grouping. Sort Variable (which can be the same as a grouped variable) Ascending, Descending.
- For Group Param, variables, Allow Sort optional Ascending, Descending, NoSort ( This will allow you to transition to something more predictable in future upgrades
- Apply Sorting parameters, After or Before. Grouping. Allow users to select. I believe after would be more meaningful default.
What this will allow for :
- Less stress in trying to have reports and generic Inquires duplicate a screen view.
- Less case/tickets as the process is clear and I think with these changes you can just about do anything
- Allow for Groupings (Summing ) But not compromise on how the data is presented.
- Not have to create customizations to do something simple.
Please vote for this idea, so we can help improve this already great product.